I know what you’re thinking. Cabbage sandwich? That’s just bizarre. Not to mention the fact that it’s…purple. But if you like cabbage, you really need to give this sandwich a shot. It’s really tasty and the crushed red pepper gives it a nice little kick. Since my husband refuses to try this, I have four servings to myself so what I like to do is have the sandwich for the first serving and save the rest for packed lunches during the week. Just pack the cabbage mixture in a tupperware and bring the bread you want to top it with OR just eat it by itself (cold or hot!)!! Give it a try!! Here’s where I got the recipe (though mine is modified – this one looks just as delicious)!
1 small head of red cabbage
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flake (more if you like it spicier)
1/2 cup greek yogurt (0%, 2%, whatever is available – you can also add more if you want it creamier)
Salt to taste
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
Enough bread for four sandwiches (highly recommend sour dough bread but whatever you have is fine)
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Pour olive oil into a large skillet and turn burner on to medium heat.
- Chop red cabbage into bite size slivers (imagine trying to bite the pieces while they’re in a sandwich).
- Put cabbage and crushed red pepper flake in skillet and saute until cabbage is softened (but still retains a little crunch) – approximately 5 minutes. Add salt and mix completely.
- Pour cabbage into a large bowl and let cool for 5 minutes. In the mean time, toast your bread.
- Mix the greek yogurt in with the cabbage. You want every shred of cabbage to be lightly coated with yogurt so add more if necessary.
- Spoon enough of the cabbage mixture to cover one slice of bread and top with the other slice.
- Eat immediately – while the cabbage is still a little warm!