Tidbits: I love this recipe! It came from a family friend from when I was growing up and it’s definitely one of my favorite meals. It can be made in a variety of ways – with both chicken and beans, or just chicken, or just beans – to accommodate different tastes and preferences. Be sure to put your name on the leftovers if you want them – my roommates and I used to fight over who would get them! Enjoy!
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled and chopped
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can cream of chicken
1 can cream of mushroom
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup salsa
½ teaspoon cumin (I definitely use more – season to your own liking)
½ teaspoon chili powder (I definitely use more – season to your own liking)
1 bag Tostitos chips
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Boil chicken in water for 20 minutes (add salt, celery, and onion to water for taste if desired). Drain chicken, saving 1 cup of chicken broth. Let chicken cool then chop into bite sized pieces.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a bowl, mix cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, salsa, chicken broth (if you forget to save 1 cup from boiling chicken or you’re making it without the chicken you can substitute 1 cup of canned/boxed chicken broth), cumin, and chili powder. Add chopped chicken and stir.
4. Spray a 9×13 glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Crumble a layer of Tostitos chips to cover the bottom of the dish (just crumbled in your hands over dish). Pour bowl mixture over crumbled Tostitos. Place in 350 degree oven uncovered for 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes, remove from oven and layer half (about 1 cup) the shredded cheese, followed by another layer of crumbled Tostitos, followed by the remaining half (about 1 cup) of shredded cheese.
6. Place back in oven uncovered for 20 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
7. Allow to cool a few minutes before cutting. Serve with lettuce and salsa (or anything else you feel like). Enjoy! And remember to put your name on the leftovers! 🙂