This recipe was inspired by Scott’s and my love for the pesto pasta recipe I already posted and caprese salad. It can be as difficult or easy as you want. If you want to make everything from the dough to the balsamic glaze it will take a little time. However, you can use store bought dough and skip the reduction and it will still be very tasty (and much easier). For the pizza dough, if you want to go homemade and don’t have a recipe yet I like to use this one. ( Mario Batali Pizza Dough ) It usually comes out a bit sticky if you follow the recipe exactly. Just add more flour little by little to help that situation. This amount of pizza dough usually makes a 12-14″ pizza.
Pizza dough (If homemade you typically need flour, water, dry yeast packet, oil, and salt. See tips above for more info)
Healthy Pesto Sauce
½ cup part skim ricotta
2 tbsp. parmesan
2 oz. fresh basil
1 oz. fresh parsley
1/4 cup pine nuts (optional, tastes the same to me either way)
2 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper (freshly ground, not that shaker stuff!)
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp brown sugar
Fresh tomatoes, thinly sliced (sun dried is a good substitute or addition also)
Fresh mozzarella, sliced (go for the best you can afford, your taste buds will appreciate it 🙂 )
Fresh garlic, thinly sliced
1. Prepare your pizza dough (see Tidbits above for further instruction)
2. Prepare the pesto sauce by putting all of the ingredients together in the food processor. It may help to add the herbs a little at a time, and you may find you need more ricotta.
3. Lightly oil a pizza pan and sprinkle with flour. Then, spread the dough on the pan
4. Spread the pesto sauce evenly on the dough
5. Place sliced tomatoes, sliced mozzarella, and fresh sliced garlic evenly around the pizza.
6. Bake in oven preheated to 425 deg for 13-18 minutes. (Check frequently because cooking times will vary. When it’s done the crust will be light brown and the mozzarella cheese melted).
7. While the pizza is cooking, begin the glaze.
- Heat balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and honey in smallest saucepan you have on medium-high heat until a boil is reached.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer (whisk frequently) until the mixture becomes thick and gooey and the vinegar is reduced by about half it’s volume.
8. When the pizza is done, drizzle the balsamic reduction (however much or little you want) and serve immediately